Raw cacao is somewhat different from the common “Cocoa”. Cacao refers to the Theobroma Cacao tree from which Cocoa is derived, and is used when referring to unprocessed versions of the cacao bean.
Normal cocoa powder and chocolate have been chemically processed and roasted, which destroys a large amount of the antioxidants and flavanols (the things that keep you young and healthy). Between 60% and 90% of the original antioxidants in cacao are lost through common “Dutch processing”. Dutch processing was originally developed in the early 19th Century to reduce the bitterness, darken the colour, and create a more mellow flavour to chocolate, but unfortunately also eliminated a bunch of the goodness.
Raw Organic Cacao in contrast has bountiful benefits, so you can add it to your diet with no guilt, just good old chocolatey deliciousnes.
Health benefits of raw cacao beans:
- Healthy Digestion. The fiber in cacao beans promotes healthy digestion
- Heart Health. Per serving, cacao contains more heart-healthy flavonoids than red wine
- Improved Mood
- Lower Risk of Heart Attack and Stroke
- Reduced Heart Disease Risk
- Less Inflammation
- Highest Plant-Based Source of Iron
- More Calcium Than Cow’s Milk
- A Natural Mood Elevator and Anti-Depressant